Drive In, Trash Out! (DITO)
We all come across other people's trash when we're out enjoying the outdoors - discarded beer cans, broken bottles, tossed out coffee cups, crumpled water bottles and dirty diapers. It's just sad. 99% of us care about the environment and do what we can to preserve it. The other 1% not only use the outdoors as their personal trash bin, but make the rest of us look bad.
There are many programs out there trying to help with changing people's view on the enviornment like Tread Lightly. Although I think these programs are great and are having wonderful long-term effects, I also think we also need to something more immediate.
I've teamed up with Offroad Passport for a program we're calling DITO: Drive In, Trash Out!
As responsible offroaders (or whatever outdoor activity we are currently participating in) we always pack out what we pack in. And many of us do more than that. We also pick up other people's trash, taking out more than we took in.
This is what DITO is all about. An action orientated program to help improve the environment now. I believe there is power with numbers. Many people taking small, incremental steps can significantly help improve the environment.
For my part, I have started to bring a trashbag for this purpose with me every place I go. When I stop, I try to pick up just a little bit of the litter in the area. The big, trash clean up parties that we sponsor are great and this isn't meant to take their place (though hopefully in time, we can minimize these). If each one of us do a small piece, I believe we can make a huge difference.
This isn't just about offroading. Inconsiderate people infiltrate all aspects of the outdoors. There's trash on hiking and mountain biking trails, camping spots, in parks, historical markers, along rivers and lakes and in our picnic areas. Do what you can to make every place in Arizona (or wherever you are) more beautiful.
In a effort to promote DITO and make this program a little more exciting, we are offering the DITO photo contest.
DITO Photo Contest
One way to promote DITO is through our DITO Photo Contest. In April, my partners over at Offroad Passport will be setting up a quarterly photo contest where you can post pictures of yourself cleaning up trails, campsites, etc.
It's so EASY. Pick up TRASH. Take a PICTURE. SUBMIT picture. Win BIG.
I recommend that you post as many pictures as you can, even if you don't submit them for the contest. We need to promote that we are not trashing the environment, but helping to maintain it.
You can visit the DITO Facebook page to get up-to-date information, news and events.
2014 DITO Grand Prize
The list of items for the grand prize is growing as we obtain more sponsors. Currently, the winner of the year's photo contest will receive
Offroad Passport T-shirt
Signed copy of Devil's Moon
We are currently trying to get more sponsors to help us ... stay tuned!
DITO Photo Contest Rules
Every quarter a DITO photo contest will be held on the Offroad Passport forum. Membership is free and you also get to enjoy the wealth of fun and information the forum provides. Click here to go to the Offroad Passport DITO forum page
To enter the contest, email your DITO photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with "DITO Photo Contest" in the subject line
Offroad Passport members will vote for the quarter's winning photo
Photos will be judged on a variety of things which may include beauty, most interesting or most unique piece of trash picked up, funniest, most trash hauled away, most people involved, etc. Make it fun and interesting!
Enter as many pictures as you want for the contest
The winner of each quarter's photo contest will be automatically entered into the end of year's grand prize contest
The year's grand prize winner will be chosen from the quarterly winners
Pictures must be of you picking up other people's trash. Picking up your own trash is mandatory and part of being a good human being
The following individuals, organizations and companies support DITO and have contributed to the program:
Trasharoo. Dave Druck has kindly offered to donate a Trasharoo for the grand prize winner!
The fine people at ExtremeTerrain have donated a $50 gift card for the grand prize winner. Need an upgrade for your Wrangler, here's $50 off!
We are now over $100 of stuff you get just for taking pictures of you picking up other people's trash (which we hope you do anyway) and winning the grand prize. We hope to have more sponsors soon!
Chutes and Spines
Why am I trying on women's pink and black bike clothes? And what does that have to do with making our trails cleaner? Read the "Chutes and Spines" story to find out.
Personal DITO Gallery
Here are some personal pictures I've taken while DITO-ing. I've found some really strange stuff out there.