4WD Adventures
4wd Adventures

Mountain Biking Adventures

Biking Adventures

Hiking Adventures

Hiking Adventures

Quick Trip Reports

Who are the Experience Arizona Adventurers?

Matt Marine

Matt Marine is an Arizona resident who loves exploring Arizona's wonderful outdoor adventures. To find out more about Matt, click the link below.

more ...


Cat-Dog is my faithful trail companion. Her real name is Cammie. Why do I call her Cat-Dog?

more ...


Sara Harelson

I’m Sara! I’m 21, a senior in college, and a journalism major.  I love to read, write, travel, and listen to music.  I’m always on to my next adventure.


See Intern Page for previous interns

It's a Jeep Thing
Jeep people are awesome, but we do have our idiosyncrasies. Join me as we look at the humorous side of owning and loving Jeeps.

Feature Adventures
Want to try something different? These stories showcase a wide varitey of unique adventures that allow you to experience them first hand!

Outdoor Adventures based on Offroad Exploration!

Arizona N2O - The Lighter Side of Experience Arizona

more ...

Do you know your Aizona trails? Figure out where I am in Arizona and win some cool stuff!

Click to subscribe to our email notifications and online magazine.

Click to explore Arizona ghost towns and mines


Read the Experience Arizona Disclaimer before attempting any of our adventures. Check with local authorities (FS, BLM, etc.) before heading out on any adventures for updates road conditions, closures, etc.

more ...

Road Closures

Trails and roads listed within this site may be closed at any time by the Forest Service, private property owners or other governmental agencies. It is your responsibility to verify state of trail prior to attempting to run it.

more ...

New Adventures


Click here for the latest 4WD Adventure

Mountain Biking

Click here for the latest Biking Adventure


Click here for the latest Hiking Adventure

Permit Information

There's a ton of open land in Arizona. Very nice, but it's not all free to visit. Many of the trails in southern Arizona are on State Trust land. If you want to do anything outside in Sedona, you probably need a Red Rock Permit. And the state parks and some national forests require fees to visit. Most are reasonable and well worth the money.

Please check the cost/fees portion of the adventure before you head out. Below are some links to information on some fees you might encounter while exploring Arizona.

State Trust Land
Red Rock Permit
State Park Permits
Coronado National Forest Fees

State Trust Land

2013 Update: In response to a reader's question, I called the State Trust Land department and asked a few questions for clarification. This is my understanding: people in 4WD vehicles (which for simplicities sake I will call Jeeps from now on) are NOT required to have a permit if traveling on an open road or trail (and not doing anything else). If you're traveling on an ATV, motorcycle, mountain bike, by foot, etc. you need a permit to travel on the same road. If you get out of your Jeep and hike, bike, camp or bird watch, you need a permit. The bottom line is if you're traveling from here to there on established roads by a Jeep, you don't need a permit. Almost anything else using any other mode of transportation requires a permit.

From the Arizona State Land Department website (as of January 2011):

Things You Need to Know About Recreation on Arizona Trust Land

For more information, click on the link below:
Arizona State Land Department Permits

back to top

Red Rock Pass

July 2012 Update: The Forest Service has been forced to change it's fee policy. It looks like the area where red rock passes are required has been reduced by about 93% (for now). Areas still needing the pass include Oak Creek Canyon area, along State Route 179 between Sedona and the Village of Oak Creek and seven individual sites. The rule of thumb is you will need the pass at any fully developed site (one that has picnic tables, permanent bathrooms, kiosks, grills, developed parking, etc), not for the roadside parking lots or trailheads.

more ...

From the Red Rock Country website:

The Red Rock Pass program
is a conservation tool designed to protect, enhance, and maintain Sedona’s awe-inspiring red rock landscape for the American public today and into the future.
As a “high impact recreation area,” the level of care and maintenance required for the Red Rock landscape exceeds that needed in other National Forest areas. Revenue from the pass program “is making a difference” providing improved visitor information, environmental protection and lasting memorable experiences!
Enhanced recreation amenities include: outstanding urban and backcountry hiking; day use picnic areas, restroom facilities; informational and interpretive signing; maintained roads for breath-taking vistas and photo opportunities; and secure places for individual solitude and family recreation.
Conservation work funded behind the scene include hundreds of miles of maintained trails; hundreds of acres of vegetation and soil stabilization; thousands of pounds of trash being collected; and a safer National Forest for the American public.
Approximately $800,000 annually is collected from the Red Rock Pass program of which 95 percent is kept locally to provide for high quality recreation, natural resource protection and valuable visitor services.
When is a Red Rock Pass Required?
A Red Rock Pass (or America The Beautiful Interagency Pass, Golden Age or Golden Access) is required when recreating on National Forest land in Red Rock Country, a high-impact recreation area. The pass must be displayed in the windshield of the vehicle.
Vehicles parked on the National Forest in the red rock area that do not display a valid pass in the windshield are subject to receiving a citation.
A pass is not required for incidental stopping to take a photograph or to enjoy a scenic vista (approximately 15 minutes or less).

For more information, click on the link below:
Red Rock Country Pass Information

back to top

State Park Fees and Passes

Arizona State parks have a wide variation of fees to visit. Please check before you visit.

Arizona State Parks Fees

back to top

Coronado National Forest Fees and Passes

July 2012 Update: In February of 2012, a federal judge ruled that charging access fees to Mt. Lemmon violated the USFS' own fee structure and at this time is no longer requiring a pass (fee) for general access to Mt. Lemmon. According to the Forest Service, a pass is still required for developed areas (ones that have more than 6 picnic tables, permanent bathrooms, grills, designated parking lots, etc). These include places like Marshall Gulch and Molino Basin).

Madera and Sabino Canyon still require passes for general access.

more ...

There are four recreation fee areas on the Coronado National Forest requiring the Coronado Recreation Fee Pass.
• Sabino Canyon Recreation Area (Santa Catalina Mountains)
• Mt. Lemmon (Santa Catalina Mountains)
• Madera Canyon (Santa Rita Mountains)
• South Fork-Cave Creek (Chiricahua Mountains)

Currently, fees are:
• Day Pass $5
• Week Pass $10
• Annual Pass $20

Coronado National Forest Fees

back to top